Thursday, May 21, 2009

Pennsylvania Turnpike = Biggest ripoff ever

I had the good fortune of traveling out to Pittsburgh this week to catch Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals. The trip was great...I always love any chance I get to travel to the cleaner part of the state. That being said, I have never been more pissed off driving on a road than I am on the good ol Pennsylvania Turnpike.

For starters, the greedy bastards (I'm looking at you, slick Eddie Rendell) in Harrisburg decided that it was fair to make a one way trip from Philly to Pittsburgh cost TWENTY F*CKING DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I worked it out...that is almost 8 cents/mile. By comparison, the NJ Turnpike charges just under 5 cents a mile. Oh yeah, and they actually have made great improvements on that road, in contrast to the PA Turnpike that hasn't been repaved since 1923.

And the work zones..........good god almighty the work zones. I drove through approximately 27 work zones between here and Pittsburgh. For about 24 of them, the only "work" i saw being done was men in orange coats putting down more cones. You want to solve the national deficit in one fell swoop? Ban the manufacturing of orange cones, and cease and desist all road work projects that primarily involve setting down and picking up orange cones on a seemingly random basis. There is a mountain on the eastbound Turnpike just past Breezewood that is three lanes to accomodate large trucks. So naturally, the jerks decide to squeeze it to one lane so we all get to follow some truck for five miles up a hill going about 15 mph. Then when I get to the top, here is what I see: THREE MEN IN A TRUCK PICKING UP ORANGE CONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get with the 21st century Pennsylvania....please

No comments:

Post a Comment